Introduction
Home | Introduction | micro CHP papers | Economics | micro CHP products | Events | Links | Publications | Image Library

the big picture
By Jeremy Harrison

 

 

Micro CHP (Combined Heat & Power) is the simultaneous production of heat and power within the home.  It works very much like the gas boiler in a central heating system and heats the home in just the same way.  However, at the same time it generates electricity, some of which you will use in your own home; the remainder is exported to the grid to be used by your neighbours.

Natural gas is consumed in an engine (or other prime mover) to drive a generator which provides electricity for use within the home; the cooling water from the engine is used to heat the home.  In the case of engine-based micro CHP a total of around 70-80% of the energy value of the gas is converted into heat, principally in the form of hot water which is used for space heating and domestic hot water production as in a normal central heating system. Between 10-25% is converted into electricity, and the remainder (5-15%) is lost in the flue gases. 

For fuel cell based systems, the gas produces electricity through an electro-chemical process and electrical efficiency tends to be significantly higher, in some cases more than 40%, but the total efficiency is roughly the same. 

This compares with a high efficiency (condensing) gas central heating boiler where around 90% of the energy in the gas is converted into heat and the remaining 10% is lost in the flue gases.

Although the total "efficiency" of a micro CHP system is similar to a boiler system, the electricity produced has a much higher value than heat.  It is the value of this electricity which covers the investment cost of the micro CHP unit and provides a net saving.

micro CHP schematic

 

the big picture
By Jeremy Harrison

Contact : info@microchap.info

Disclaimer:  Information is provided for general information only and no endorsement or recommendation of any company or product should be inferred.  None of the companies mentioned in the main text are direct sponsors of the site; inclusion of sponsored links does not imply endorsement or relevance.  Please note that the views expressed on this site are  entirely my own and do not represent the official position of my current or previous employers. 

Privacy policy: We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.


This site was last updated on 01 December 2014  Jeremy Harrison